UF graduate charged with DUI manslaughter

Amanda Boyd, 23, who graduated from UF in December, has been charged with DUI manslaughter for a crash in September.

Gainesville resident Betty Hinson, 74, was killed in the crash.

A warrant for Boyd's arrest was served Monday. She was booked into the Alachua County Jail the same day, and bond was set at $25,000.

According to a Florida Highway Patrol report, Boyd had a blood alcohol level of .21. In Florida a driver is considered impaired with a blood alcohol level of .08.

Boyd told police she left the Applebee's on Northwest 13th Street on Sept. 1 between 5p.m. and 5:30 p.m. after having one Michelob Ultra draft around 4 p.m.

While traveling east on University Avenue in a 1996 black Ford Ranger, Boyd veered onto the shoulder of the road at a curve.

The truck then traveled into the opposite lane, striking the left front side of Hinson's 2008 Chevrolet Impala at the intersection of University Avenue and State Road 26, according to the report.

The crash occurred at 5:45 p.m., according to the report.

Boyd's car continued down the road, striking a stop sign and a bike lane sign before turning over onto its right side.

Hinson was pronounced dead at the scene, the report stated.

Boyd told police she was traveling about 45 mph to 50 mph, but speed calculations indicated she was traveling 60 mph to 68 mph when she applied the brakes.

A toxicology report determined Boyd had no drugs in her system but had taken prescription Wellbutrin XL, for depression and anxiety disorders.

Boyd majored in economics at UF, according to UF's Office of the Registrar.