The undergraduate programs in UF's College of Nursing will not be eliminated under a 10 percent budget cut proposal scheduled to be released today by the college, said Tracy Wright, college spokeswoman.

However, the college might seek to reduce enrollment in the programs over time.

"Like the university as a whole," she said, "we're focusing more on graduate education."

Of the 734 students in the college, 340 are undergraduates, with another 333 freshman and sophomores hoping to get in when they become juniors.

Under the proposal, no tenured faculty or faculty who would eventually be eligible for tenure would be cut, Wright said.

The number of temporary faculty might be cut, however, which would affect the number of undergraduates the college could teach, she said.

In addition to the 10-percent budget cut proposal that was requested of all colleges and administrative units, the college was asked to present the pros and cons of cutting its undergraduate programs.

The College of Education was asked to do the same. It announced Friday that its undergraduate programs would also be spared.