Driver of car that killed scooter rider charged

Four months after Monica Toliver struck a scooter with her Lincoln Town Car, resulting in the death of a UF student, the Gainesville Police Department issued a warrant for her arrest.

The warrant was issued Wednesday after results from a toxicology screening came back negative, Sgt. Joe Raulerson said. The results proved that Toliver's erratic driving was not a result of drugs or alcohol.

On December 2, Toliver, 40, was driving east on West University Avenue when she hit the side of a Gainesville Regional Utilities truck that was stopped at a traffic light, the report stated.

She continued to drive up onto the sidewalk and hit Michael VanWagner's Yamaha scooter, throwing him and the scooter into the crosswalk at Northwest 17th Street.

According to the report, Toliver continued driving and hit the back of a 2001 red Dodge Ram that spun the truck onto the east corner of the sidewalk.

Toliver sped up and drove her car two more blocks before it stalled out in the left turn lane to Northwest 15th Street.

Witnesses said that Toliver seemed obviously in control of her car and that she appeared to be trying to flee after hitting the three vehicles.

She was charged April 2 with vehicular manslaughter, leaving the scene of an accident with a death and leaving the scene of an accident with property damage.

After the accident, Toliver told police that she only remembered hitting the GRU truck, Raulerson said.

She said she had no idea she hit the Dodge Ram or scooter, even though VanWagner was thrown onto her windshield.

She also told officers that the reason she hit the scooter and the Dodge Ram was because her brakes stopped working.

A certified mechanic conducted an inspection of Toliver's car and verified that the brakes worked properly, according to the report.