Faculty Senate vote might change dates of Spring Break

UF students have expressed mixed reactions to the possibility of an earlier Spring Break, which would go into effect in 2011-2012 if the Faculty Senate votes to make the change next month.

Bernard Mair, UF's associate provost for undergraduate affairs, told faculty at Thursday's Senate meeting that UF is considering moving Spring Break up a week so it falls exactly in the middle of the spring semester.

The Senate is in charge of creating UF's academic calendar.

Some students said they're excited about the possible change.

Statistics graduate student Demetris Athienitis said an earlier break would make for better skiing.

"In Florida we have plenty of hot weather, so I look to go somewhere where it's cold," he said.

UF freshman Kendall Johnson said he likes the idea of having the break right in the middle of the semester because classes after Spring Break would feel less rushed.

"I like it being even," he said.

But other students were peeved by the proposal.

UF freshman Shaniqua Thompson said she thinks an earlier break could mean colder weather, which is the opposite of what spring break is about.

"How are you supposed to go to the beach and do all your Spring Break activities if it's cold?" Thompson said.

One bonus of having the break earlier in the semester, she said, would be that she would have more of her financial aid money left.

"You would have more money to spend," she said. "But what would you spend it on?"

"It's cold, so where are you going?" she said.

Other students were indifferent.

"I don't really do much on spring break, so it doesn't make a difference," said UF sophomore Christina Ruiz.

"I don't care," said UF statistics graduate student Anestis Touloumis. "It's one week off either way."