Gators to determine series winner with Seminoles in Tallahassee

The Gators are hoping to avoid a case of deja vu in Tallahassee tonight.

Just like last season, UF (23-12, 9-6 Southeastern Conference) is heading into the final leg of its three-game series with FSU (21-11) having split the first two contests. The two meetings this season resulted in a 5-4 win in Gainesville and a 3-2 defeat in Jacksonville for UF.

When the Gators traveled to Tallahassee last season for the third game of the series, they fell 4-2.

Over the weekend, the Gators notched their first road SEC series victory in Auburn, Ala., and UF coach Kevin O'Sullivan hopes the momentum will carry his team into the final regular-season meeting with the Seminoles without too much buildup from the coaching staff.

"I hope that I don't have to say a whole lot. I hope that they get fired up and ready to go," O'Sullivan said.

If momentum isn't enough to carry the Gators to a victory, O'Sullivan feels confident that the well-rested pitching staff will give UF an advantage.

In the final two games against the Tigers, the Gators used a combined four pitchers thanks in part to an eight-inning outing by starter Stephen Locke on Saturday and a 6 1/3-inning performance by starter Anthony DeSclafani on Sunday.

"We certainly got the numbers. We just need to execute," O'Sullivan said.

Freshman Greg Larson, who has yet to start a game in his short college career, finished out Locke's effort on Saturday and is one of the options to start tonight at 6 p.m. in Dick Howser Stadium.

Senior Patrick Keating, who lost his spot in the weekend rotation, and freshman Justin Poovey, who has made two starts this season, are the other two options.

Last season, O'Sullivan used six different pitchers to complete the third game, and he has shown a quick hook when his starters begin to struggle this season. Having many options in relief will only help in that respect.

Larson and Poovey are just two of the many freshmen who have been producing for the Gators lately.

Preston Tucker was named SEC Freshman of the Week for the second time this season after his Ruthian performance against Central Florida on Wednesday night, and Daniel Pigott has provided a versatile option in the No. 2 spot in the lineup.

Pigott, who laid down the suicide squeeze with two outs to cap UF's ninth-inning comeback against Alabama on March 28, hit his second home run of the season Sunday.

"He can run, he's got power," O'Sullivan said of Pigott. "We always thought he'd be an exciting offensive player for us."

Avoiding the same fate as last season may come down to the contributions of the freshmen who weren't on the roster a year ago.

O'Sullivan said growing pains are to be expected with a young squad, but he feels his team is starting to hit its stride.