Guy Harvey, world-renowned marine life artist and water conservationist, will go to any depth for his inspiration.

"I'm fiercely devoted to the sea," Harvey said at the University Auditorium on Friday as he spoke on marine life issues, such as overfishing and the declining shark population.

Harvey, a former marine biology college professor, told the audience of about 130 during his 50-minute talk that "shark-finning," or the removal of shark fins for an Asian soup delicacy known as "Shark Fin Soup," has become a huge issue.

"The demise of sharks is a problem that's going to affect the rest of the ocean," Harvey said, adding it is "very hard to ask people whose culture eats these animals to stop."

As for overfishing, Harvey said there should be a moratorium on fishing certain species for at least four or five years to fight ocean depletion. He told the audience his restaurant chain does not serve grouper, adding other restaurants often use mystery fish as a substitution.

Harvey went on to discuss the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation, which gives money to nonprofit organizations that do research and create educational programs about ocean conservation.

"It takes cash to care," Harvey said, noting a percentage of his merchandise sales go toward the foundation and his research institute in Fort Lauderdale.

Harvey also made an appearance at Florida Bookstore on Saturday, where fans of all ages lined up for nearly two hours to get his signature on shirts, hats and posters.

"I like his take on conservation," said Nina Gubin, a UF microbiology junior, who got her ticket from Friday's speech signed. "His art is realistic and unique."

Harvey, who grew up in Jamaica and has been impacted by the ocean since childhood, said in a phone interview he appreciated the following.

"I try to be authentic as possible," Harvey said of his artwork, adding he wasn't sure just what about his art enticed people. "I know a lot about the physiology and ecology of the animals. Fishermen appreciate that. "

Harvey said his design for the 2008 National Championship commemorative shirt for the Gators was done months before the team took home a victory.

"We can hopefully do it again next year," Harvey said, adding he would attend the Orange and Blue game, his first college football game, on Saturday.