Students will have a new reason to dread summer classes - the start of minus grades.

The new grading scale will launch nearly a year and a half after the Faculty Senate voted to implement the new grading scale.

According to Faculty Senate records, the decision was made in order to give faculty more options when assigning grades. Provost Joseph Glover officially announced minus grades would start summer A 2009 in October.

Under the new scale, plus grades will have a lower grade point amount assigned to them. A letter grade of B+ will go from a 3.5 to a 3.33 under the new system. A solid B will remain a 3.0.

Students will not receive Gordon Rule credit for classes they receive a C- or lower in.

For classes with the satisfactory-unsatisfactory option, also known as S-U option, students must also have a C or higher to get credit.

Because the grading scale is not mandatory, professors can decide whether they want to use minus grades.

And professors teaching the same course can have different grading scales, even if they are teaching the same material.

Professor Mike Foley, a UF journalism professor, said he will not use minus grades.

Foley teaches the journalism reporting class, one of the most-dropped classes within the entire journalism college.

"The class is tough enough as it is without using minus grades," he said.

Minus grades will not apply to grades received before summer A .