NEWS  |  SFC

Departing provost remembered for impact at SFC

After 10 years at Santa Fe College, Anne Kress will work her last day Friday before leaving to become the next president of Monroe Community College in Rochester, N.Y.

On Wednesday, students, faculty and staff piled into the Alan J. Robertson Administration Building at SFC's main campus to give tearful goodbyes and share fond memories of Kress.

"I enjoy watching you work," SFC President Jackson Sassar told Kress during the farewell party.

Sassar said that although Kress' leaving will be a big loss for Santa Fe, he is excited for her future and referred to her as the best academic officer SFC has ever known.

Kress joined the SFC staff in 1999 as an associate professor of English.

Since then, she has earned titles such as English department chair, interim vice president and her current position of provost and vice president of academic affairs.

One of 32 applicants, Kress was named a finalist for the position in March and was named president of Monroe Community College on April 27.

While at SFC, Kress proposed the Title 3 Math Research Grant and led the process for awarding bachelor's degrees, Sassar said.

The college will start its first two baccalaureate degree programs in the fall.

Kress said the bachelor's degree was her last big activity at SFC, and it's what she would like to be remembered for.

"SFC will always hold a special place in my heart," Kress said. "It is a wonderful asset to the community, and I am going to miss it so much."