Cell phones have been the target of a recent spate of thefts at the Southwest Recreation Center, according to reports filed with the University Police Department.

Four phones - three iPhones and one BlackBerry - were reported stolen from Sunday to Tuesday.

In all of the cases, the alleged victims were playing basketball and left their phones somewhere nearby, only to find them missing when they returned.

While two phones were simply lying on the ground, one was tucked in a shoe and another was inside a backpack.

The first incident occurred Sunday between 5 p.m. and 5:30 p.m, the second incident occurred Monday between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. and the last two happened just after midnight on Tuesday, according to the reports.

One theft reportedly occurred inside the building. It wasn't clear whether the other phones were stolen inside or outside.

"There are folks who hang out there that wait for people to put stuff down," said UPD Lt. Robert Wagner.

He said the thieves - or thief - who stole the phones could be students dressed in gym clothes who don't seem suspicious.

"We highly recommend that people do not leave their stuff unattended out there," Wagner said. "There's lockers to store stuff securely."