A bewitching new brew has shown up on University Avenue.

Mother's Pub & Grill, 1017 W. University Ave., is the only bar in Gainesville, and one of four in the state, that has been selected by Vermont-based Magic Hat Brewing Co. to serve its newest concoction - Magic Hat No. 9, a"not quite pale ale," according to TJ Goodman, co-owner of the pub.

Mother's will host a party Friday night to formally introduce Magic Hat No. 9.

Burgers and chicken wings cooked using the beer will also be available, Goodman said.

Other towns in Florida hosting the specially brewed beer include Tallahassee, Ocala and the Tampa/St. Petersburg area.

Goodman said the ale is unique and indescribable.

"It's like Sierra Nevada," he said,"but it has a flowery, fruity taste afterwards. It really is hard to explain."

But despite its hard-to-determine flavor, Goodman said it has been successful with customers in its first week after becoming available in the bar.

"We had one keg - about 110 pints - gone within three hours, which is unbelievable," he said.

He also said the new specialty beer is going to change a lot of things.

"A lot of college students will go from buying $1 drinks and jump to buying $3 and $4 drinks, which is unheard of in today's economy," he said.

"[Magic Hat No. 9] gives people a chance to try something different other than Bud Light, Miller and Coors."