26 letters' worth of landmarks, legends and facts of life in Gainesville.

A-Albert & Alberta: This furry duo rocks the Gator sports games and you're likely to get a high-five or a hug from one of them before you graduate. Albert and Alberta appear at Gator sports games and love to work the crowd.

B-Bikes: Don't be alarmed your first day on campus-Tour de France hasn't relocated. Those two-wheeled blurs you see weaving through traffic and pedestrians are just Gainesvillites, and they really, really like biking. With the UF campus nestled comfortably amid all the shops and restaurants you could ask for, Gainesville is the perfect place to get in touch with your inner machine. Besides, it saves the planet and gives you a killer ass. What's not to love?

C-Century Tower: If you happen to hear bells chiming over the music on your iPod, they are coming from this Gainesville landmark, which was built in 1953 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of UF. Originally intended to house a historic museum and an art gallery, Century Tower was dedicated to UF students who were killed in World Wars I and II. In 1976, a cast-bells carillon was installed and now plays every quarter hour with longer concerts on weekends and during special university events

D-Drama: There is never a dull moment in Gainesville with multiple venues for the performing arts. Located on campus, The Philips Center for the Performing Arts will hold popular musicals like "Hairspray," "Cats" and "Avenue Q" this coming season. Tickets can be purchased on line at ticketmaster.com

E-Eats: Gainesville is a great for getting your grub on. From a walkup pizza window on University Ave. to vegan-friendly ice cream shop Karma Cream down the same street, you won't suffer from Monotonous Munchie Syndrome. Some local favorites are Satchel's Pizza, which admits to taking a while to serve your mind-blowing pie, Luca's Pasta, where you can build your own noodle dish Subway-style, Chopstix Cafe, a sit-down pan-Asian restaurant, and El Indio, a tiny standalone drive-through that offers cheap authentic Mexican cuisine and the best Guacamole this side of Tijuana. Whatever your tastes, Gainesville can offer some serious chow.

F-Florida/Georgia: Some Gators would argue that the annual Florida vs. Georgia football game in Jacksonville. Thousands upon thousands of Gator fans Many call it the world's largest cocktail party, too, because of the tailgating extravaganza that surrounds the game, but UF President Bernie Machen is trying to change all that with a slew of proposed changes to alcohol regulations in Jacksonville.

G-Gator Growl: As the largest student-run pep rally in the world, with over 500 student volunteers, Gator Growl is in its 86th year at UF. Held on the Friday night of Homecoming Weekend, Gator Growl invites fans of all ages to The Swamp for live music, comedy and Gator spirit. This year, Dana Carvey will tickle our collective funny bone.

H-Hippodrome: This downtown Gainesville landmark sticks out like a sore thumb because of its Roman-like architectural beauty. The Hipp was built in 1911 as a federal building which included a post office and a courtroom. Since 1981, the Hipp has housed performing arts productions year round including two Christmas plays: A Tuna Christmas and A Christmas Carol.

I-Independent Florida Alligator: That's right-the little gem you have in your paws right now. With more than 300 boxes peppering UF and the surrounding areas, it's no challenge to find yourself a copy. The Alligator keeps students and Gainesville residents informed about UF and local news. It also provides a great diversion when you should be listening to a lecture in Microeconomics.

J-Java: Fear not, coffee fiends-living in Gainesville, you will probably never be more than 100 yards away from a java joint. It's not just the dozen or so Starbucks, either. Gainesville is home to plenty of funky shops for you to get your study on. And if your preference is tea, Gainesville's got you covered there, too.

K-Krishna Lunch: every day, rain or shine, you can get a heaping plateful of vegetarian or vegan food in the Plaza of the Americas for a $4 donation. Bring your own plate and get a discount. Don't worry, it's not a trap-the Krishnas don't push their religious beliefs on their customers. They say the food includes the perfect dose of spirituality without them saying a word.

L-Lake Alice Bathouse: Chiroptophobes, stay away from the western part of campus. Every night at sundown, more than 100,000 bats fly out of the largest bathouse in North America and eat their body weight in insects. Most nights, a crowd of about 30 watches-more on cool nights-and some say the bats poop on heads if you're not careful. But hey, you can thank the bats for the lack of creepy-crawlies in your dorm.

M-Machen: The big man. The head honcho. El numero uno. Bernie Machen is UF's Harley-driving president, and he rakes in nearly half a million a year-excluding his hefty annual bonuses. But to his credit, el presidente did promise to donate nearly $300,000 in bonuses last year to the UF Foundation to help soften the blow of budget cuts. In recent years, Machen has cracked down on alcohol, and it seems to be paying off-UF was just recognized as a model school for alcohol prevention.

N-Nightlife: While Gainesville has over 50 bars, clubs and places that serve alcohol Midtown is the hot spot for those who live on or near campus because its just a quick walk away. Be careful though, the City of Gainesville has recently instituted a bar ordinance which will fine bars and clubs that are caught with underage drinkers so officers will be on the prowl.

O-Orange & Blue: Although you have now made a commitment to give your life, and your money, to UF over the next four years, we would gather to think that you don't know why orange and blue were chosen to represent your future alma mater (because we didn't). In 1910, there were two college institutions that merged to form the UF that we all know and love today. Blue was picked from The University of Florida at Lake City, which had school colors of blue and white and orange came from East Florida Seminary in Gainesville, which had orange and black.

P-Parking Enforcement: They come bearing yellow envelopes that can take your day from bad to worse with just a glimpse. They drive around in white vans. They're parking enforcement officers, and you can't escape them. Parking on campus in a restricted zone or without a decal will run you $30. A similar offense off campus costs $15, and the envelopes are a far less-terrifying white.

Q-Quarterback: If you say you haven't heard of him, you're lying. Tim Tebow-hands down the most famous face in Gainesville-has two national football championships and a Heisman trophy under his belt. Spotting him around campus is easy-just look for the gaggle of giggling girls trailing him at about 5 feet.

R-Renewable Energy: After many years of planning, the U.S. has finally been put on the map when it comes to renewable energy, and Gainesville was the city that put it there. Feed-in tariff's have allowed Gainesville Regional Utilities, GRU, to buy 100 percent of the solar energy produced by solar panels owned by houses and businesses. GRU buys all of the solar energy produced at $0.32 a kilowatt-hour and sells the energy back to the private vendor for $0.12 a kilowatt-hour.

S-Student Government: UF's governing body controls more than $13 million of your money, so paying close attention to their dealings might be wise. You'll get to know the parties well leading up to the SG election because you'll be bombarded with campaign materials wherever you go.

T-Traffic: If you have a class that ends at 4:55, you may want to grab a latte and park it on the Plaza of the Americas because you're not going anywhere. Most afternoons, Archer Road and 13th street become a gridlocked nightmare for about an hour as students and city residents flood the streets trying to get home. If you choose to brave it, make sure you have a full tank of gas and the patience of a mother trying to get a Furby before Christmas in 1998.

U-Underwear Dash: For eight years, UF students have been striping down to their skivvies and run along University Avenue-but it's for a good cause. The clothes that students take off are donated to the Salvation army. Screaming and chanting UF songs like "it's great to be a Florida Gator," students began participating in the dash during September of 2005

V-Veggies: If you're a vegetarian or vegan, you have arrived in Mecca. Whether you want to eat on campus, off campus or at home, G-ville's got you covered. If Krishna lunch isn't doing it for you, vegetarians can find a good meatless selection at the dining halls' Vegetarian Corners and salad bars. Places like the Top, Maude's, Gator Dogs, Luca's Pasta, Café Gardens and Leo's make Gainesville, in all it's veggie-friendly glory, the perfect place to be cruelty free.

W-Wauberg: Eight miles south of the UF campus lies Lake Wauberg, the closest spot to paddle off your stress in a natural body of water. Buses run to the lake every Saturday when weather is nice, and the private park boasts equipment rental, a climbing wall and biking trails. Your Gator1 gets you and four friends in free. But those friends can't include your yellow lab or a bottle of Jack Daniels-sorry, no pets or alcohol allowed.

X-Xmart: Nestled cozily between two Asian restaurants, X-Mart is your one-stop shop for pleasures of the flesh. Granted, pasties and porn aren't the first things on most students' shopping lists, but if the occasion should ever, uh, pop up, X-Mart has you covered. Or uncovered.

Y-Yodeling Ghost of Flavet Field: OK, we made that one up. Seriously, just try to think of something in Gainesville that starts with a Y.

Z-Zoo: Home to two painfully adorable baby Asian small-clawed otters, the Santa Fe Teaching Zoo is open from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. everyday. Tours are given seven days a week but appointments must be made on weekdays. Tickets are $4 and free for SFC students with ID. And no, they won't take your little brother.