Defensive tackle Lawrence Marsh missed practice Thursday with a sprained ankle.

UF coach Urban Meyer said he expects Marsh to return to practice Monday.

Marsh started 13 games for the Gators last season, racking up 28 tackles and three sacks on the year.

TRATTOU AT TIGHT END: It looks like Meyer is going to be taking a page out of his friend Bill Belichick's playbook.

The coach revealed Thursday that defensive end Justin Trattou could see time at tight end this season in goal-line situations.

Meyer said Trattou will be practicing with the first-team goal-line offense in a similar role to Mike Vrabel for the Patriots.

Vrabel, a linebacker now with the Kansas City Chiefs, caught 10 passes, all for touchdowns, including one each in Super Bowl XXXVIII and Super Bowl XXXIX while in New England.

Meyer said freshman Desmond Parks will likely redshirt this season. Other than starter Aaron Hernandez, Parks was the only other tight end with the potential to see playing time.

"If we have an (injury) at tight end, that's an issue," Meyer said.

BRANTLEY TO SEE TIME: Sophomore quarterback John Brantley could be logging some steady playing time this fall for the Gators.

Meyer said he hopes to use Brantley in game situations this season and not just in mop-up duty.

"I don't want to make any promises because that always comes back to haunt you, but he's earned playing time at Florida. We're anxious to get him in the game," Meyer said. "He's earned it. It's not charity work. How much? That remains to be seen, but he'll play."

Brantley threw for 235 yards and three touchdowns in 2008.

CRUNCH-TIME COOPER: When asked who other than Tim Tebow he would trust to make a big play late in a close game, Meyer said he'd put the ball in the hands of senior receiver Riley Cooper.

"I say that because he's done it before," Meyer said.

Cooper's 5-yard touchdown catch with 2:50 left against Alabama in last year's Southeastern Conference Championship Game helped the Gators hold off the Crimson Tide and earned them a trip to the BCS National Championship Game.