Who's who at UF? Meet Bernie Machen, Steve Orlando, Jeremy Foley and more.

Bernie Machen, UF president:

Since beginning his presidency in 2004, Machen has advocated and pursued a wide range of issues. The most recent include changing liquor licensing laws during the annual Florida-Georgia game that would affect the Jacksonville area and the university budget cuts.

Patricia Telles-Irvin, Vice President for Student Affairs:

You better familiarize yourself with her name, because soon, when fall classes are back in full swing, her name will appear in any email about UF safety, student policy changes, warnings or a myriad of other student affairs-related issues. Telles-Irvin works in conjunction with Machen to make sure the UF campus is running smoothly.

Telles-Irvin said new students should learn and explore the options available at UF.

"You are venturing into a wonderful phase of your life," she said. "You will benefit greatly from your college experience at UF by recognizing that learning is happening all around you, both inside and outside of the classroom. Be open to discovering more about the world, your major and yourself."

Steve Orlando, Director, UF News Bureau:

If you haven/t began to see the press releases and other similar news stories on the UF homepage, then you will. And Steve Orlando is at the head of it. Orlando is the director of the UF News Bureau, the UF media and public relations office.

The UF journalism grad said he spends most of his time keeping up with all the news around UF and the community.

"Get off campus and see the rest of the community," Orlando said of advice for freshman. "Work hard and play hard. It goes by too fast."

Jeremy Foley, Athletics Director:

Jeremy Foley oversees almost every aspect of the UF athletic programs-from the football team to the Lacrosse team-he runs the programs, adds new ones, adjusts old ones and works to keep UF one of the top athletic programs in the nation.

As the longest active tenured athletic director in the Southeastern Conference and the 2006 National Athletic Director of the Year, Foley said while new students can be overwhelmed their first year in college, it is one of the most rewarding experiences in life.

"You will grow academically and socially and have numerous opportunities," he said. "Navigating these countless options is part of the college experience. Enjoy it."

Jordan Johnson, Student Government President:

During his one-year term as UF student body president, Johnson will represent every student on in The Gator Nation. Johnson, a member of the Unite party, will serve until May 1 and has pledged to make sure students concerns are heard by President Machen and to target sustainability and improve student services.

He said one of the best things freshman can do when they come to UF is get involved with campus activities and not worry about the economy.

"Just be sure to avoid the UF parking enforcement officers," Johnson said. "They are always eager to collect your donations."

Urban Meyer, Head Football Coach:

His success has made him one of the highest paid coaches in the country. Meyer has coached his team through two national championships and in just a few weeks, with the first Gator came coming in September, things will get a lot busier as he leads the Gators to victory.

Tim Tebow, Gator Quarterback:

You/ve probably figured out who this guy is by now. He/s the guy with the crowd of fans and drooling, giggling girls following him. The Heisman winner and two-time national champion has pledged an undefeated season for the Gators.

But while he is dedicated to his team, Tebow said his school work is just as important. The quarterback said is sometimes asked if he has to go to class.

"Of course I do," Tebow said. "You just have to learn to manage your time wisely and make sure you keep your priorities in order."

Billy Donavan, Head Men/s Basketball Coach:

For 12 years the Gator Men/s Basketball Head Coach has led his players through many victories, including two back-to-back national championship titles. With much curiosity about the upcoming season, Donavan will stay busy trying to lead his team to the NCAA tournament.

Linda Stump, UFPD Chief:

As head of the UFPD, Chief Stump/s first priority is making sure the 50, 000 plus students on the UF campus are safe. The University Police Department, just like other cities and governments, has a Criminal Investigations Division, Bicycle Patrol Team, Critical Incident Response Team (CIRT), K-9 Team and an Office of Victim Advocacy.

Stump said the most important thing freshman can do is stay safe.

"While I realize they/re focused on studying and getting familiar with campus, be familiar with the blue lights [and other safety procedures]," Stump said. "It/s important to be aware of what/s going on around you. Do all things necessary to protect yourself."

David Guzick, Sr. Vice President for Health Affairs and President of UF&Shands Health System:

He/s the newest person on this list. Taking over July 1, David Guzick serves at the head of the UF health care system and also chairs the board of directors at Shands&UF. He/s the one in charge of funding, hiring and all the other big decisions involving Shands health care, while assuring that students and patients are well taken care of.

Guzick said most students who seek medical school or a medical profession have a love for both science and people, but students should still take their time exploring their options and what they want to do.

"Coming out of high school in this country, you have the opportunity to explore and find something you/re excited about doing the rest of your life," Guzick said.