Animal Activists of Alachua protests sold-out circus

The line of patrons curved around the building, and families were turned away from a sold-out circus at the Alachua County Fairgrounds Friday night. However, a few unexpected guests were fine with standing on the street.

The Animal Activists of Alachua, a UF student group, greeted circus patrons with signs that read, "Does abuse equal entertainment?" and "Boycott the circus."

The group, whose Web site says the goal is to "build an organization that would serve as a voice for nonhuman animals long after its founders had graduated," hopes to see the end of animals in circuses.

"All circuses that have animals tend to abuse them," said Alyssa Cohen, a junior biology major, and president of the activist group.

"This one in particular has been cited by the U.S.D.A. for failure to provide veterinary care and failure to provide shelter during extreme heat," she added.

The Circus Pages, which is based out of Myakka, Fla., sold out its only show in Gainesville. The circus includes lions, tigers, elephants and several other animals in its act.

James Earhart, the circus ringmaster, said the circus has been written up several times for non-compliance issues by the Department of Agriculture, which regulates circus animals.

Earhart said most of the issues were with veterinary records, and once the circus was written up for failure to properly shade a lion.

"We were written up because a lion had the sun in his eyes," he said.

"We treat our animals excellent because they're a huge investment. Each elephant cost 300 grand, and a white lion can cost 25 to 50 grand," he said.

But according to a People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals flier, the Circus Pages has been cited several times by the Department of Agriculture for mistreating animals.

One citation was for keeping the circus's elephant, Bombi, from lying down in its travel trailer because of a neck chain that forced it to stand.

In 2007, the circus was cited for failing to provide adequate veterinary care as a result of declawing two young tigers, which is not allowed unless done for medical reasons.

The Animal Activists of Alachua had nine members show up to protest on Northeast 39th Avenue in front of the fairgrounds.

A few passing cars honked in support, and one driver screamed "animal rights!" out his window.

But the activists' signs didn't keep anyone from entering the circus, according to Cohen.

"None of the cars turned away, but I think we got some people - especially kids - to think twice next time," she said.

But Earhart doesn't think animal-free circuses are a realistic goal.

"It's not a circus without animals - it's only a show," he said.