Student-owned company delivers booze, party supplies

Put down the keys, Gators. The beer is coming to you.

The Beer Delivery Guys, whose store is located at 18 SW First Ave., delivers beer and other party supplies to people in Gainesville from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. Monday through Saturday. Delivery is available until 45 minutes before home football games.

Marketing senior Kevin Ruiz said he came up with the idea because he knows people with a history of driving under the influence.

For the cost of the items plus a $5 delivery fee, The Beer Delivery Guys will deliver party supplies within an hour.

Their menu includes beer in any quantity from kegs to four packs, wine, champagne, sake, energy drinks, cigarettes, cigars, smokeless tobacco, hookahs, plastic cups, taps, condoms, gum, chocolate and bagels.

"I saw an opportunity to provide a service that no one else in Gainesville was providing that at the same time makes the streets safer for everyone," Ruiz said.

The service offers about 100 beers, including organic beers and Lambic beers brewed with wild yeast from Belgium that makes every batch taste slightly different.

Ruiz said that his inventory is expanding and he would love to hear from potential customers about their preferences.

"If you give me a 48-hour notice, I can get any keg from Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale to BouncZ Energy Drink," Ruiz said.

Will Bridges, an economics senior, said he's been at parties when the refreshments ran out and no one was in a position to drive.

"When the beer runs out, there is always one guy who is collecting money in a hat to keep the party going who definitely should not be driving," Bridges said. "Partying just got safer."

Ruiz made it clear that The Beer Delivery Guys don't support underage drinking.

"We train our drivers to spot fake IDs. You look for differences in eye color, height, hairline and jawline," he said.

Every order requires the signature and driver's license number of the purchaser.

"I have one rule for my employees-if you sell to underage buyers, you will no longer work for this company," Ruiz said.

The Beer Delivery Guys can be reached at 352-505-0045.