Local female artists to perform at 'Girls Night Out'

Tonight is ladies' night.

Brophy's Irish Pub, 60 SW Second St., will host Girls Night Out, a live music event that features women artists and performers, at 10 p.m.

"We're trying to showcase the really talented female bands," said Sarah Nelson, coordinator and co-founder of the event. "This night puts a spotlight on female artists."

Originally targeted at the gay community when it launched in 2007, Girls Night Out is open to people 21 and older of any gender or sexuality.

"Anybody's welcome," Nelson said. "I'd definitely love it if everybody of all everything came out."

Local girl-and-banjo setup Lonesome will kick off the night playing music infused with the sound of the banjo. Other local bands The Rochevanies, whose Facebook page describes their music as "riot grrrl, country, we're not sure," will play punk rock, and the State Of will end the night with dark indie pop mixed with electronic and plenty of '80s covers to keep it fun, Nelson said.

"We have some really great groups playing so hopefully people will come out to see them, and if they haven't heard of them hopefully they'll just trickle in," Nelson said. "It's good music."

Girls Night Out, formerly called Gainesville Dyke Night, has been happening in Gainesville since 2007.

Nelson said she and Steph Taylor started it because there really wasn't anything fun going on for women.

Now, the event is held every few months.

With the Pride Parade this weekend, the crowd is expected to be larger than usual, Nelson said. About 150 people are anticipated.

"With the festival, people will be a little more excited about going out," Nelson said. "And Brophy's is like a magnet for these kinds of events."

Girls Night Out starts at 10 p.m. and costs $5.