RTS to map routes with Google's transit planner

Say goodbye to squinting over bus maps. Starting Monday, Regional Transit System riders can plan trips with Google Maps.

Google Transit Planner will benefit those new to Gainesville, especially UF and Santa Fe College students, said RTS spokesman Chip Skinner, who added that about 70 percent of people who ride RTS buses are UF students.

"It's going to benefit anybody that's going to schedule a trip," he said.

The Google Transit Planner estimates time of arrival, determines the total distance and cost of a trip and provides information on the nearest bus stop, walking distances and road delay information.

Skinner said a lot of people were accessing information on RTS's Web site, which led them to contact Google and work out access for Google Maps.

"Over the years, RTS has received numerous calls and e-mails from riders asking when a Web site trip planner would be provided, and RTS is glad to be one of only five transit systems in Florida to provide this service," RTS Transit Director Jesus Gomez said in a press release.

Skinner said the system will reduce printing costs since more people will be using the trip planner.

For RTS schedule information, visit go-rts.com or call 352-334-2600.