Tebow returns to practice without contact drills

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow returned to practice in a limited role Tuesday after being cleared for non-contact drills.

Coach Urban Meyer said Tebow split snaps 50-50 with backup John Brantley, and discussions will continue for the next few days about whether or not Tebow can and should play at LSU on Saturday.

"He didn't go full, and it was obviously non-contact," Meyer said. "I'd say he did probably 80 percent of practice. He did well. A little rusty, not really from anything other than that he hasn't played football in over a week."

Meyer said Tebow worked out and did some conditioning Sunday and Monday, and a team of experts including trainers, physicians, a neurosurgeon and a neurologist were involved in clearing him to practice.

"He looked like Tim out there today," Meyer said. "Obviously he practiced a lot differently than what's going to happen Saturday night.

"There's still a lot of evaluation to go."

Meyer stressed to Brantley before practice the importance of his continued preparation with Tebow's status still unclear.

Meyer declined to give a timeframe for when a decision will be made on Tebow's status to practice fully or see game action, but if he displays any symptoms, the process will be delayed.

"I don't think that'll happen for some time yet," Meyer said. "He simply practiced a 20-period practice in full pads."

There is also a chance Tebow could be medically cleared and still not play at No. 4 LSU on Saturday.

"There's two issues: the safety of Tim Tebow and then obviously the football team," Meyer said. "The first thing you gotta do is - is he 100 percent medically cleared? Then you cross the next bridge. You go one at a time."