Meyer not worried about Strong’s head coaching offers

As the season draws to a close and coaching vacancies open up, Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong’s name is sure to be associated with head coaching jobs.

But UF coach Urban Meyer isn’t worried about it being a distraction.

“Every year we go away on a retreat as a coaching staff, and I always talk about how when you’re at Florida, that’s part of the deal,” Meyer said. “However, the loyalty is to this football team, these players and this program. Once the season is over, then let’s handle this professionally.

“We love Charlie, and he’s obviously a tremendous coach,” he added. “I did talk to him over the summer in a brief conversation. And the best thing is, he mentioned to me that the focus is through December when the season is over.”

Strong reiterated those thoughts after practice Thursday.

“I just have to work and continue this job right now,” Strong said. “This is my whole focus, just making sure our defense goes out and performs.”

Meyer has said multiple times that Strong, a defensive coordinator since 1999, deserves a shot at a top position. He said he hopes race won’t be a factor, as Strong, a black man, said last January that his interracial marriage had harmed him in the job market.

“I would hope not, but I don’t live that,” Meyer said. “I know it certainly plays no part at the University of Florida.”