Tebow’s path to win second bronze statue

Shortly before last year's Academy Awards, I remember listening to an NPR broadcast that featured a panel of respected film critics discussing who would take home the top honors.

When it came to the Award for Best Actress, they all agreed: Kate Winslet should win for her role in "The Reader."

I haven't seen it, and I only watched one of the other nominees' performances, but I disagreed completely based on their reasoning.

Winslet deserved it, they said, because, "It's just her turn. She has earned it."

This is the manner in which people make these kinds of decisions, and I expect the same kind of thought process when it comes to Heisman Trophy voting.

Just as there are no meaningful statistics to compare the artistic integrity of movies, we don't really have any for the Heisman either.

Sure, we can look at numbers. But they don't all face the same competition. And should their teams' records count? Do they sacrifice gaudy stats for wins? Does that matter?

I don't agree with the process, but that's how college football works.

With that in mind, here's what UF's Tim Tebow needs to do to make sure he leaves New York City with another hunk of metal next month.

Keep Winning: Thanks to Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen's rough outing last week, what will matter most come voting time is whether Texas' Colt McCoy, Alabama's Mark Ingram, Boise State's Kellen Moore and Tebow are still undefeated.

Tebow can knock off Ingram if the Gators beat the Crimson Tide for the conference title, and from there, he just needs to provide enough stats for voters to feel justified in voting for him.

Score: And for Tebow, stats mean touchdowns. He's way behind his 2007 passing numbers, and he's on pace to fall 700 yards shy of last year's total. His completion percentage and interceptions look good, but he needs to start getting in the end zone.

Eleven passing and nine rushing TDs? That's really weak considering he accounted for seven touchdowns in the 2007 South Carolina game alone!

Luckily, this is an easy fix. All it takes is a 10-minute talk with the team. Jeff Demps, try to bust a few long runs, but take a hint from Chris Rainey and get run down at the 3-yard line. Tebow can punch it in from there.

Ditto for Brandon James on kick returns and for defenders after interceptions. With a tight Heisman race, it's just uncalled for and selfish for them to pursue glory for themselves. Time to take one for Tim, guys.

Embarrass Someone: Short of the kind of huge game he posted against the Gamecocks two years ago, Tebow needs an iconic play or two.

That hasn't happened this year. No jump-passes, and although he has led some crucial drives, there hasn't been anything crazy.

Right now, the most lasting image of Tebow is his concussion against Kentucky. He needs another enduring moment to rival that, and then the injury will be remembered as an obstacle he heroically overcame rather than a low point.

Luckily, his best three chances are ahead of him.

South Carolina: Tebow stiff-arms his way to a 40-yard, zig-zagging touchdown, grabs Steve Spurrier's visor and spikes it to the ground in celebration.

Florida State: He waits for an FSU defender to talk some trash the week of the game, then runs him over and knocks his helmet off. Some Seminole war paint on the face would help too.

Alabama: Here, with everyone watching and Heisman talk in overdrive, Tebow needs to outrush Ingram and make a clutch play late.

If he can follow this plan, the award is all his.

If not, congratulations Colt McCoy! He may not have the numbers, but it's just his turn.