UF's College of Public Health and Health Professions has decided it likes things the way they are.

After conducting a national search for a new dean, UF has decided to stick with the college's interim dean, Michael G. Perri, who has been a faculty member since 1990, UF announced Tuesday.

Perri, who has been interim dean since June 2007, officially becomes the dean Friday, according to a UF news release.

Much of his research has been focused on the behavioral treatment of obesity.

According to the release, he has served as the principal investigator or co-investigator on $30 million worth of grants and contracts from the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Veterans Affairs and the private sector.

As interim dean, he helped gain accreditation for the college's new school of public health and launched the Florida Trauma Rehabilitation Center for Returning Military Personnel.

He received his doctorate from the University of Missouri-Columbia and previously taught at the University of Rochester, Indiana University and Fairleigh Dickinson University.

"I am honored and excited about the opportunity this appointment presents," Perri said in the release.