Technicolor lights bounced off the walls at Rum Runners, an acoustic artist hummed in the background and Ashley Miller sipped the beer she had received.

She was one of an estimated 500 people who flocked downtown for Stompin’ for the Holidays, the fall semester version of Gator Stompin’.

“I’m a senior,” she said. “This is something that you have to do in Gainesville before you leave.”

Organized by the Pledge 5 Foundation, the seasonal celebration transformed downtown Gainesville into a pub and restaurant crawl as participants weaved in and out of local hot spots.

The event kicked off at Rum Runners, where a Southeastern Conference Championship pep rally set the tone for an evening of mingling and mixed drinks.

A Gainesville tradition since 1983, participants paid a base admission fee and received a lanyard and 10 tickets redeemable for food, drinks and entry into raffles at about 20 vendors, including Shooting Star Japanese Grill & Sushi, Lux, The Gelato Company and Skyy night club.

But the fest was more than a good time.

The event raised awareness for Toys for Tots, an organization dedicated to distributing toys to children from economically disadvantaged families.

From action figures to board games, participants were encouraged to donate a toy.

Jason Bowman, the event coordinator, said the decision to support Toys for Tots suited the spirit of the season.

“It’s the holiday season,” Bowman said. “Students don’t have a lot to give in terms of monetary donations, but they can afford a toy.”

Those who donated a toy received $10 off their admission to the event.

Last year, the event collected about 500 toys. But this year, Katherine Shearouse, an intern for Gator Stompin’, said it hoped to collect 1,000 toys.

“This is a way to give back to the community,” Shearouse said, “but it’s also a way to have fun and go out with all your friends one last time before winter break.”

For students too inebriated to drive, Stephen Stanfield, attorney and counselor at law, sponsored the Stompin’  Safe Ride Shuttle to insure the safety of participants.

Between the live music, food and nonalcoholic options available, students under 21 also enjoyed the festivities.

Despite the abundance of beer and buzzed bar hoppers, the Christmas tree stationed in front of Rum Runners was a concrete reminder of the meaning behind this night on the town.

Toys spilled underneath the garland-wrapped trees, which stood as a beacon of the generosity of the Gator Stompers.

“We hope this helps people get in the habit of giving,” Bowman said.