Harold Rocha trudged up 193 stairsteps to the top of Century Tower.

With each step, a small echo is heard in the cold, dark, 157-foot tower, which is enough to leave most visitors huffing and puffing during the ascent.

“Most people get tired after the eighth floor,” he said.

He passes abandoned rooms with dust covering the aged concrete floor and climbs 11 1/2 stories lined with a chain link fence to reach the top of the tower.

Once he reaches the top, he enters a small room occupied only by a few dusty chairs, a rickety desk and a carillon console. He takes a seat, turns off the automated system that rings the bells every 15 minutes, pulls out his notes and begins to play.

The Century Tower bells don’t play “Joy to the World” and “Sleigh Ride” by themselves.

Rocha, a UF public relations sophomore, is enrolled in the applied carillon course at UF, in which a student plays the carillon bells from 12:35 p.m. to 12:50 p.m. for class credit.

In the course, students are taught the history of and how to play one of the world’s largest instruments.

UF’s carillon, which has 61 bells, is the largest in Florida. It is played by hand, using a large keyboard with keys, called batons, and foot pedals.

Eight students are enrolled in the class.

“This class is about growing musically and growing with others,” said Ingrid Schulz, a UF advertising junior.

The two-credit course is open to all majors.

The carillon class will be holding its end-of-the-year recital Sunday at 3 p.m., in which students will play holiday songs.

Students and members of the community are welcome to listen outside Century Tower.