When BJ Barham gets out of the shower, he grabs a piece of stationery, gets in a van and begins writing with refreshing candor.

When Zack Brown, Bill Corbin, Kevin McClain, Ryan Johnson and Whit Wright play, they do so with clever spontaneity.

When the six come together, they form American Aquarium: the Americana band from Raleigh, N.C., known for its incessant work ethic and country-rock hybrid.

On Wednesday, the band will play at Backstage Lounge at 9 p.m. Tickets are $5.

Barham said he’s most excited for fans to hear new material.

Despite bearing resemblance to “The Boss,” he said American Aquarium’s release this year “isn’t as Springsteen as the last album was.”

Fans will instead notice more introspection in songs. The common theme in last year’s “Dances for the Lonely” was heartache.

This year’s release will mark the fifth American Aquarium album in five years. The band’s method for producing praised rock ‘n’ roll: resourcefulness.

Sound checks are a glorious thing,” Barham said.

During rehearsal, he might play a new song, remaining members fill in and “after four or five nights of practicing, we have enough balls to play it live, then do it every night.”

Barham admits the band is lucky, but he also credits its consistency to spending eight inspiring months on the road, talented people believing in them, and “working your ass off.”

The severity of its touring schedule led to various changes in the past: American Aquarium had 25 to 46 different members in three years. However, Barham said the past year and a half has “been awesome.” Pedal steel player Wright graduated in December, solidifying the line-up.

A lot of people have seen us as a four- or five- piece [band],” Barham said. “This is us at our best.”

When given the opportunity, Barham said he and the guys enjoy the simplicity of sleeping and time back home.

Those two or three days, you go and get your favorite beer or favorite sandwich you can’t get anywhere else.”

American Aquarium’s modesty fuses with talent. The North Carolinians mesh the direct, honest lyrics of blues with piano and upbeat chords (“Katherine Belle”). At other times, Barham resembles his main influences – Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty – but with a raw, raspy edge to it (“Ain’t Going to the Bar Tonight”).

The band’s true talent lies in its ability to relate, especially to the South. American Aquarium seldom hides behind metaphors; the music and lyrics are real and of culture.

It’s just where we feel at home and feel our music relates a lot more,” Barham said. “It hits home.”