Floridians to get tax holiday for first time in 2 years

Two years ago, Gov. Charlie Crist and state legislators nixed the back-to-school tax-free holiday because state revenues were low.

But now, as state revenues are projected to rise, they are trying to reenact the 11-day tax break.

According to the latest executive summary of the Office of Economic & Demographic Research, Florida’s revenue is predicted to be about 6.6 percent more than it was last year.

But reviving the tax break could cost the state nearly $44 million.

Fandre Miron, an executive manager of the Softlines clothing line for Target on Archer Road, said she looks forward to the tax holiday.

“I think it’s a great idea, especially for parents who have more than one kid,” she said.

But not every store gets to enjoy the advantages of the back-to-school tax break.

The general manager of The Florida Book Store, Nandy Ferguson, said college bookstores don’t benefit as much as stores that cater to high schools, middle schools or elementary schools.

“It’s always a week or two too late for our students to take advantage of it,” she said.

During a press conference Jan. 4, the governor and state legislatures said that they want to restore the tax break because it will generate economic growth in the future.

However, UF economics professor Mark Rush doesn’t agree.

Although he hasn’t seen the study yet, he said he thinks only some of the state revenue loss will be recouped in the future.

He also thinks the governor and legislatures could have ulterior motives for restoring the tax break.

“It’s popular with the voters, which makes it popular with the politicians,” he said.