Police issue warrant for former cornerback

Wondy Pierre-Louis, former Gators cornerback, is expected to appear today in a Gainesville courtroom following a warrant issued for his arrest Sunday.

His lawyer, Huntley Johnson, said Monday that Pierre-Louis would go before a judge this morning to set bond.

Pierre-Louis had not turned himself in to the authorities by press time Monday night.

Gainesville Police Department Capt. Ed Book said Pierre-Louis was accused of breaking into an apartment, strangling a woman, holding her against her will and preventing her from calling the police.

According to Book, the woman said Pierre-Louis pinned her against a countertop and began to choke her.

Marisa Quarles, whose husband, Buddy, is Pierre-Louis' guardian,  said there is always more than one side to a story.

Although she hasn’t spoken to Pierre-Louis since the pending charges went public, she and her family plan to support him.

“It’s very hard for me to believe the accusations, knowing Wondy,” Quarles said. “He’s just so mild-natured and kind. I can hardly even hear him raising his voice.”