Lane Kiffin’s departure from Tennessee to USC certainly doesn’t hurt UF’s recruiting class, but the Gators didn’t really need the help.

Before Kiffin’s announcement, Florida had already snatched up four-star inside linebacker Michael Taylor despite the uncertainty surrounding coach Urban Meyer’s future.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pounder from Atlanta Westlake High (Ga.) changed his commitment from the Volunteers to the Gators during his official visit to Gainesville on Jan. 8.

“He was very committed to Tennessee for a very long period of time,” Westlake High coach Greg Minnis said. “He changed his mind kind of right before coach Kiffin really decided to do what he wanted to do. He didn’t really know what was going on and didn’t feel comfortable starting his career there.”

Taylor’s commitment comes at a perfect time for the 2010 recruiting class, which is ranked No. 1 in the nation by Rivals.com. The Gators just locked up the top recruit of 2010 class, Moreno Valley (Calif.) Rancho Verde High defensive end Ronald Powell  who committed during the U.S. Army All-American game.

Taylor joins five-star recruits defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd (Philadelphia George Washington high (Pa.)), defensive tackle Dominique Easley (Staten Island (N.Y.) Curtis High) and safety Matt Elam (West Palm Beach Dwyer High) in UF’s top-ranked recruiting class.

“Those guys developed a bond,” Minnis said of all the UF commits who played with Taylor at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. “After a month of playing with each other, they really enjoyed their experience and wanted to carry on that experience at Florida.”

At 6-foot-1, Taylor is considered undersized for his position. But what he lacks in size Taylor makes up for with intelligence.

“The main thing he needs to work on now may not have to do with his size, but it’s getting off the big guards and tackles and shedding blocks,” Minnis said. “But that’s where he uses his intelligence because he knows plays, he knows gaps and knows proper fits.”

With National Signing Day less than two weeks away, Taylor’s commitment solidifies UF’s position as the nation’s top recruiting class.

Verbal commitments are non-binding until a letter of intent is signed on or after singing day, Feb. 3.