British double-decker bus to make stop in Gainesville

A 1966 double-decker bus from London will be stopping in Gainesville tonight to kick off a 10-month tour of the U.S.

Nick Elliott and Darren Cunningham, both 25, traveled here from England to document and experience local culture in American cities.

“We have no idea what we’re in for, but we want to get to know as many people as possible,” said Elliott, co-founder of the tour, dubbed Routemaster66.

Elliott and his friend Darren Cunningham plan to stay in Gainesville until Friday before driving to New Orleans to celebrate Mardi Gras.

They want to meet people and let them enjoy the bus while experiencing the city, Elliott said.

“You provide the people, and we’ll provide the ride,” he said.

The cost of buying and remodeling the bus was about $23,500, Cunningham said. He and Elliott could not estimate the total cost of the trip.

The trip will be paid for by the group’s savings and project partners, including The Thornsett Group, a property developer.

For more information about the bus, visit www.routemaster66.com.