Campus Black History Month events kick off Monday

Love is in the air for this year’s Black History Month.

“A Love Story,” this year’s theme, reflects the trials and tribulations, the ups and downs of both black history and love, and the need to celebrate the journeys of both, according to Rhana Gittens, the marketing director of Black History Month.

UF kicked off 28 days of Black History Month events Monday night with a reception attended by about 300 people at the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom. 

Gittens  said the month’s events will include at least one program each day.

The event featured a performance by the University Gospel Choir, which sang “Lift Ev’ry Voice.”

Alton Edmund, vice president of the choir, said the group is excited for its upcoming performance at the Phillips Center on Friday, Feb. 5, because renowned vocalist Ricky Dillard will be performing onstage with them.

The ceremony also included a speech by the executive director of BHM, Kamali Burke, and three members of the Gators United for Haiti group announced they had raised about $16,000.

Jean-Luc Adrien, one of the group’s leaders, said the University Athletic Association promised a donation of $50,000.

The ceremony ended with  representatives from each of Black History Month’s cosponsors signing a document to signify their commitment to the mission of Black History Month.

Other events this month include The Great Gator Debaters Tuesday, Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom and a John Legend performance Wednesday, Feb. 17 at 7 p.m. at the O’Connell Center.

Desiree Chase, a health education senior, said she is excited to model in the Fashion X-Clusive on Friday, Feb. 19.

Chase has been participating in BHM events since 2005 and has noticed considerable changes since then.

“I feel like it’s getting bigger,” Chase said. “ BSU is working hard.”

Kayla Morse, the vice president of the Black Student Union, said the events are a way to celebrate individual groups within the Gator Nation.

“Black History Month to me is celebrating the strength, pride, and passion that black students who came before us had,” Morse said.