Students learn health resources at UF, become more aware

Students walked away with condoms, candy and concern for their health and safety after the Student Government Health and Safety Fair on the Reitz Union Colonnade Wednesday. 

Between 500 and 600 students stopped by, said Alex Masi, a Unite Party senator who represents Rawlings Hall.

The SG Health and Safety Fair made students aware of the safety resources UF offers and featured tables from the University Police Department, GatorWell and the Student Health Care Center. Students learned about free bike registrations and a program offering late-night running partners.

“There are so many great resources on campus that students don’t know about but should know about,” said Severin Walstad, a member of the Senate Allocations Committee and a UF freshman.

Organizations that participated in the event included the Student Health Care Center, Student Legal Services, Shands at UF, the UPD, GatorWell, Gator Dining Services and the Student Safety Research Colloquium.

“Raising awareness is always a preventive measure,” Masi said. “It brings the student voice to the people who can help them.”

Students received more than just back scratchers, candy, pamphlets, pens, coupons and condoms, Masi said.

“I got a lot of free stuff, but I am also much more aware now,” said Wing Yu, a UF anthropology freshman.

Sarah Kunkler, a UF finance sophomore, said it was convenient to have the fair at the Reitz Union.

She loves being able to go into the Student Health Care Center anytime she feels sick and get quick and easy assistance, Kunkler said. 

“The information is right here,” she said. “It’s kind of hard not to check it out.”