UF is trying to take a bite out of last year’s $40 million energy bill for UF and Shands at UF.

A new campaign, “Chomp Down on Energy,” begins today and encourages all UF departments to take simple steps, such as turning off electronics, to reduce energy usage.

All departments are asked to choose a green team captain to help spread the word.

Anna Prizzia, the director for the Office of Sustainability, said the campaign is separated into two phases.

The first phase aims to get involve the entire campus in cutting down energy use. Prizzia said turning off copiers and fax machines when they aren’t in use could save the university a significant amount of money.

Prizzia said the money saved from the campaign will go back to the university.

Students can take part in the campaign by turning off lights and electronics and even adjusting the thermostat in class, she said.

Prizzia said phase two will involve keeping computers and monitors shut off when they are not in use.

Samantha Evans, a health promotion specialist in the Student Health Care Center and a green team captain, said the center will work to recycle, turn off lights and reduce the amount of paper it uses for brochures.