UF defensive tackle Gary Brown arrested

UF defensive tackle Gary Brown was arrested early Sunday morning and charged with two counts of misdemeanor battery after police said he slapped one female and scratched another after they asked him to leave a party.

Brown and a friend, Theodore Davis, attended a party at The Crossing at Santa Fe Apartments, and when Davis was asked to leave, he grabbed a fire extinguisher and sprayed its contents on those near him, according to a police report.

Alachua County sheriff’s deputies responded to the incident at 5:27 a.m., and upon arrival, they were told by two females hosting the party that the 6-foot-4-inch, 275-pound Brown slapped and scratched them.

Neither victim required medical attention.

Brown, 19, and Davis had left the party by the time officers arrived, but they were arrested at a traffic stop and booked into the Alachua County Jail shortly before 8 a.m.

A five-star recruit from Greensboro West Gadsden High School, Brown did not see any game action as a freshman this past season, and his recent arrest doesn’t bode well for future playing time.

The Gators signed three highly rated defensive tackles in their 2010 recruiting class – Sharrif Floyd, Dominique Easley and Leon Orr – and the team is expected to have to cut two scholarships before the fall to make the limit of 85.

Spring practice begins March 17.