Local merchants are concerned smaller wallets will mean fewer bouquets again this Valentine’s Day.

This year, the country’s total holiday spending is expected to reach $14.1 billion, which is low in comparison to the $17 billion spent in 2008, according to the National Retail Federation.

Americans spent about $14.7 billion on gifts in 2009, according to the organization.

The federation predicts couples will spend about $63.34 on nontraditional Valentine’s gifts, compared to $67.22 last year. The average person will spend $103 on Valentine’s Day merchandise like candy and flowers, similar to last year’s $102.50.

Local florists are already preparing for another decrease in sales.

Barbara Crevasse, owner of Crevasse’s Florist, said total sales have slowed in the last two years, and the trend toward cheaper arrangements is increasing.

She said people are still sending flowers to loved ones; they’re just smaller.

Elizabeth Cavallo, manager of Floral Expressions Florist, thinks the decrease in sales will have more to do with Valentine’s Day falling on a Sunday than the down economy.

She said people like to have the flowers delivered to their significant others during the week while they’re at work. She hopes people will think ahead and send arrangements and gift baskets early this year.

“It’s never too early to say ‘I love you,’” Cavallo said. “We’re hoping people will have things delivered on Friday.”

Cavallo said they will offer a substantial variety of arrangements for all budgets ranging from about $30 orders to custom orders in the hundreds of dollars, including the traditional dozen red roses and a tulip special.

Crevasse said Valentine’s Day is their Super Bowl of holidays, even though Mother’s Day brings in more total money. She said they hire extra floral designers and delivery drivers to help relieve the pressures of completing the holiday orders.

Cavallo echoed a similar sentiment.

“We have people who want something delivered every hour. That’s kind of hard when you’re screaming busy,” Cavallo said. “Those guys must be crazy in love.”