Winners announced for science and art contest

Art and science put aside their differences during the second annual Science of Elegance Art Contest. The winners of the contest were announced at Marston Science Library on Thursday afternoon.

About 100 UF students, faculty and alumni gathered to recognize the winners of the contest, which aims to showcase scientific research at UF in an imaginative and unique format, said Amy Buhler, an engineering librarian at Marston Science Library.

Megan M. Smith, a soil and water science graduate student, won first place for her painting of root fungus. 

The winning image looks like ivy wrapping around a brick building, but it is actually fungus wrapping itself around the tree root cells, Smith said.

“There is a completely other world under our feet,” Smith said.

During the fall, students, faculty and alumni were invited to submit a 2-D work of art with a scientific theme. There were about 110 entries this year. There were entries from all departments at UF, from the College of Medicine to the College of Journalism.

The UF Alumni Association also sponsored an award for one alumni winning entry. 

Wes Marston, who graduated from the UF Levin College of Law, captured lightning striking near his cottage on the Rappahannock River in Virginia. 

“It's unbelievable the little things you do not see where you are looking at lightning with the naked eye,” Marston said. 

The winning artwork will be displayed in the Marston Science Library.