Entering the season, Florida’s offensive philosophy was simple: Get on base and let Preston Tucker bring you home.

And when No. 5 UF (5-0) takes the field against No. 6 FSU (6-0) at the “Florida Four” Tournament in Tampa tonight at 7:30, the Gators will try to show the Seminoles that their offense does not begin or end with Tucker.

Coach Kevin O’Sullivan said the two hitters in front and two hitters behind Tucker needed to protect him, as he would see strikes only if those four batters were threats. Through the season’s first five games, they have done their jobs.

Leadoff hitter Matt den Dekker and second baseman Josh Adams have reached base on 54 percent of their plate appearances and are first and second on the team in runs scored.

“The whole key to our offense is Josh and Matt getting on base and forcing other teams to pitch to Preston,” O’Sullivan said. “If they do that, then I think we’re going to score a bunch of runs.”

The only hitch in the top of UF’s order has been Tucker. The player who broke the Gators’ single-season RBIs record last year has yet to drive-in a run. But the Gators’ have thrived nonetheless.

UF is scoring more than eight runs per game, thanks largely to cleanup hitter Austin Maddox and left fielder Tyler Thompson, who hits fifth in the lineup. The two players have combined for 12 RBIs. 

Of course, none of this should come as a surprise to FSU if it has watched film on Florida. All the Seminoles will have needed to see was the Gators’ first inning of the season.

Facing USF, den Dekker led off with a single, and Adams followed with a two-run home run. Not wanting to test Tucker while already down a couple runs, the Bulls elected to walk him on five pitches.

Maddox came up next, and he pounded a pitch over the right-field fence for the second two-run homer of the inning.

“(Maddox is) getting good pitches to hit because of Preston,” O’Sullivan said.

Maddox feeds off of the hitters in front of him.

“When all the players around you are good, it makes you a better player,” he said.

And when pitchers get past the Gators’ first four hitters unscathed, they still have to face Thompson.

After starting 10 games in 2009, Thompson’s clutch hitting has earned him an increased role this season.

The left-handed hitter is 3 for 5 with runners in scoring position, recording 6 RBIs in those at-bats. During his limited playing time last year, Thompson learned what pitches to expect with runners on base.

“Any time there is a guy in scoring position, you’re going to get off-speed,” he said.

If Thompson and Maddox continue to hit, the Gators will not need to rely on Tucker. Not that anybody is expecting the sophomore’s slump to last long.

“He (Tucker) won’t press,” O’Sullivan said. “He gets upset and he’ll be fine…. If you look at anybody that’s had the success he’s had, you’re going to get pitched differently.”

For now, teams have four other guys to worry about.