More than 100 participated in Theatre Strike Force's MP3 Experiment

Theatre Strike Force moved to its own beat Monday night on Turlington Plaza.

About 120 people participated in the group's MP3 Experiment, said Liz Anderson, the head of public relations for iGasm.

The MP3 Experiment, which is similar to a flash mob, began with a group of people listening to their iPods.

Before arriving, everyone downloaded an MP3 file from Theatre Strike Force's Web site but was not allowed to listen to it.

Then, as they pressed play at 9:35 p.m., the Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling" started playing, and the next 30 minutes were spent following prerecorded directions. Participants took part in a balloon fight, blew bubbles, danced in a conga line and snacked on milk and cookies.

"There's no better way to end anything than milk and cookies," said Peter Mann, an economics junior.

Katie LeBlanc, a telecommunications junior, said Theatre Strike Force delivered.

"Once you hit play, life got really sweet and innocent, with [activities] like the bubble blowing," she said. "It was a really good break from a stressful day."

Other students simply watched.

Justin Chisholm, a telecommunications junior, does not have an iPod, so he just watched. Because he could not hear the music or recorded instructions, he said it looked like a bunch of craziness.

"People will do the weirdest things when everyone else is doing it too," he said.

But not everyone enjoyed the event. At one point a professor, whose students were taking an exam, came out complaining about the noise.

But the group did not seem to mind.

"If you're not getting in trouble, you're not doing your job," Anderson said.

Filup Molina, the head writer and one of the directors for iGasm, said the MP3 Experiment was a way to spread the word about Theatre Strike Force's spring show iGasm.

iGasm is a mock-Apple keynote that will use pre-written scenes and improvisation to parody Apple commercials, introduce new products into the Apple line and poke fun at Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO.