We, as a community, are saddened by the recent events in which a geography Ph.D. student, Kofi Adu-Brempong was shot by a University Police Department officer. It appears this situation did not warrant the use of deadly force and that UPD allowed the situation to escalate out of control. Our questions seem to be falling on deaf ears.

Did the UPD officer know that Adu-Brempong suffered from a childhood case of polio? Did they know that he needed a cane to stand on his own, let alone to walk? Officers were present the day before he was shot and knew about his condition. The officers present said they acted out of fear for Kofi’s life. Then why use an assault rifle?

We are also disappointed that the UF administration was so late to address this issue with the students, faculty/staff and community members. The original statement released by President Bernie Machen was only sent to residents of Corry Village, and we feel that the entire student and employee body of UF should have received a notice immediately. It wasn’t until well into Spring Break that Machen sent an incredibly vague letter to students. More importantly, Machen refused to take a stand in support of a victimized fellow Gator.

The letter itself encourages an independent investigation but ignores our calls to not utilize the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Given that the police reports and stories are changing on a daily basis, we would like the university to initiate its own investigation into immediately and take student and faculty input along the way.

UPD handled the situation like a SWAT team sting operation rather than negotiated with someone who was having a mental breakdown. Today on Turlington Plaza at 10:45 a.m., students and faculty are coming together to demand justice for Kofi Abu-Brempong, and we want you to join.

Jeremiah Tattersall is with Students for a Democratic Society, and Dave Schneider is with Student Labor Action Project. This a guest column on behalf of the Coalition for Justice Against Police Brutality.