After the devastating loss of his father and brother to prostate cancer, Sam Gaddy needed a way to cope.

He found his answer in the American Cancer Society’s Man to Man program, which offers community-based education and support for cancer patients and family members coping with the disease.

The group will meet today from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the American Cancer Society Hope Lodge, 2119 SW 16th St.

Although he has never been diagnosed with prostate cancer, Gaddy has been a facilitator for the program for three years to educate men, especially blacks like himself, who are at high risk for prostate cancer.

“One of the most continuous components of prostate cancer is genetics, then race and then age,” Gaddy said. “I wanted to educate myself because of genetics and how devastating it has been for African-American men.”

Many of the men who attend the meetings are survivors, but they encourage anyone dealing with the disease to attend.

“There is no reason for men to be loosing their lives to prostate cancer with so many advances in medicine,” Gaddy said. “It just needs to be caught early on.”

The American Cancer Society also provides informational books and pamphlets during the meetings, but many members have found their discussions to be the most helpful tool.

Charles Cooper, a prostate cancer advocate and survivor, has attended the program for two years.

“There are no limits. We can just sit and talk about anything,” Cooper said. “We can identify with each other and feel each other’s pain.”

For more information or to get involved with the program, visit the Web site at cancer.org.