Monday, April 29, 2024

The best Indian dance team in the U.S. practices wherever it can find an open floor. 

Without a reserved indoor studio or Student Government funding, members of GatoRaas have spent months perfecting their high-energy choreography in residence hall basements and on vacant basketball courts.

As they prepare for the Volunteers for International Student Affairs (VISA) Talent Show in the O’Connell Center tonight at 7, the 16 dancers are no strangers to financial obstacles.

“We try to move around to whatever is available, but there’s never much space left,” GatoRaas manager Monica Patel said.

Holding 16-inch Dandiya sticks, the characteristic props of Raas dancing style, the dancers’ bare feet slam the pavement nonstop in sheer dedication for three to four hours, three times a week.

Raas, which originated in India’s western state of Gujarat, has exploded onto the collegiate scene and represents a fusion of traditional and modern dance moves.

The GatoRaas team is a subdivision of the Indian Student Association, which falls under the umbrella of VISA.  They will dance a portion of the India Inc. routine during the talent show, which will feature about five other Indian dance teams.

“We receive some funds through VISA, but by the time it gets down to our club, there’s barely anything left,” captain Sunny Patel said.

Members of the GatoRaas team, led by Sunny Patel and Shivani Amin, have paid out of their own pockets to make the treks from Gainesville to Texas, Indiana and Miami only to meet success.

They won first place in Dallas at the Raas All Stars national competition on April 3, first place at Miami Mayhem regionals in March, and third place at Indiana’s Raas Royalty regionals in February.

GatoRaas is the first Indian dance team to win first place at an intercollegiate dance competition, but they can only compete a few times a year.

The team only has two chances to get judged because flying out to the competitions is a big burden, said captain Sunny Patel.

“I hope we can become our own official club under SG to get funded,” Sunny Patel said. “After all these wins, maybe they’ll see we are a worthy investment.”