A 19-year-old man was beaten and robbed in the tunnel under Southwest 13th Street connecting Norman Hall and the Yulee area early Monday.

The victim recalls that three white men were also in the tunnel at the time he was hit in the back of his head about 3 a.m., according to a University Police Department press release.

The investigation is ongoing as of Monday, UPD Lt. Alton McDilda said, and the police will be increasing patrols in the Norman and Yulee areas.

The victim, who is not a student, called police about 8 a.m., McDilda said.

"He came to us five hours [after the crime]," McDilda said. "He did not show any signs of inebriation or anything like that."

The victim may have become unconscious when the crime happened, he said.

"He didn't complain of any injuries other than he got hit in the back of the head," McDilda said. "There weren't any visible wounds."

The University Police Department sent emergency text message and e-mail notifications Monday morning to UF students, faculty and staff.

"The possessions we're not releasing at this time," McDilda said. "The estimates, I couldn't ballpark it right now to tell you the truth.

The robber or robbers may face charges of strong-arm robbery, a felony. Anyone who knows anything about the incident should contact the UPD office at 352-392-1111.