Magazine hosts auction for three charity groups

Nearly 400 people ate for charity Sunday night at the Hilton UF Conference Center.

Taste of Home, a charity event hosted by Home: Living in the Heart of Florida magazine, brought food, auctions and music to the Hilton.

Tickets cost $75.

Money from the fundraiser went to three children's charities: Child Advocacy Center, Children's Home Society of Florida and Leadership Gainesville. Leadership Gainesville will donate its portion to the Take Stock in Children program, March of Dimes and Girls to Young Ladies.

The donated food came from about 25 local restaurants, according to Emily Davis, public relations director for the magazine's publishing company.

Shelley Meyer, wife of UF football coach Urban Meyer, and Lewis Stokes, a disc jockey for 93.7 K Country radio, hosted the event.

Of the more than 175 silent auction items, all but four were bid on, according to Scott Costello, the owner and publisher of Home magazine.

The first item in the live auction, a framed, autographed Tim Tebow Gator jersey, was valued at about $1,450, and went for $800.

This year, although Costello hasn't finished counting proceeds from the auction, his plan is to donate $10,000 to each of the three charities.

"When I talked to people, they were shocked this was a first-year event," he said. "People were happy with the results. They want to participate next year."

Celeste Rubanick, a volunteer for the Children's Home Society, said she donates her time to the event so she can do something for the community.

"I don't have money to donate," she said, "so I donate time."

Next year, Costello said he wants the event to run more efficiently and have more sponsors and donations.

He also said he wants to double the size of next year's event.

The fundraiser received about $60,000 in donations prior to the event, and could not have run without donated services, he said.