Even though TCU made it to their first BCS bowl game in school history, they ended their 2009-2010 campaign on a sour note.

After an undefeated regular season, TCU fell to Boise State 17-10 in the Fiesta Bowl.

But the Horned Frogs will have another opportunity to compete for a national title this year as they come in at No. 6 in the alligatorSports’ college football preseason rankings.

Despite critics maintaining that TCU’s weak schedule is the main reason for its success, the Horned Frogs have won 11 games in four of the past five seasons.

If they want to make it five out of six, they will have to find a replacement for two-time All-American defensive end Jerry Hughes, who racked up a team-leading 11.5 sacks last year. The Indianapolis Colts selected him 31st overall in the NFL Draft.

However, the Horned Frogs should have plenty of candidates to fill the void as seven starters return from a defense that allowed 12.8 points per game last season.

TCU will look upon senior defensive end Wayne Daniels to anchor the defensive line. He piled up 50 tackles and finished second on the team with 5.5 sacks last year.

The front seven will be important, as many expect a drop off in TCU’s secondary from last season. Two first-team All-Mountain West Conference cornerbacks, Rafael Priest and Nick Sanders, graduated last season.

The Horned Frogs’ offense should provide their defense with ample support, however.

TCU’s offense finished fifth in the nation in scoring and it will return nine starters, one of them being MWC Offensive Player of the Year quarterback Andy Dalton. He threw for 2,756 yards and 23 touchdowns last year.

Dalton’s top four receivers, in terms of yardage, will be back. Seniors Jeremy Kerley (44 catches, 532 receiving yards), Jimmy Young (33, 517) and Bart Johnson (33, 410), and junior Antoine Hicks (23, 478) will provide Dalton with plenty of options in the passing game.

The offense will be without leading rusher Joseph Turner, who graduated. However, the backfield will be in good hands.

Sophomores Matthew Tucker and Ed Wesley each ran for over 600 yards last season behind Turner.

Dalton will help with the ground game, too. He gained 512 yards with his legs last season, giving the offense an added dimension.

Tucker, Wesley and Dalton combined for 1,826 rushing yards last year, and the departure of Turner should open the door for even more production from the three.

Last season’s TCU team made history after earning the first BCS bowl berth in school history, but this season it has even higher aspirations – win a national championship.