Barbecue sizzled, DJs spun and young women screamed in uncontrollable glee as about 1,000 people crowded both sides of Southwest Eighth Street on Tuesday afternoon to witness a tradition: sorority Bid Day.

The newest sisters received their bid cards at the Reitz Union, which told them which house they'd been welcomed into.

They then came rushing in little groups toward the houses, passing through Norman Tunnel, around Norman field and down Southwest Eighth Street.

The crowd was divided.

The sorority sisters stood clumped in colorful groups in front of their respective houses on the east side of the street.

Meanwhile, hundreds of men stood watching across the way to cheer on the running sorority hopefuls and boo those who only walked.

Each group of girls was decked out in their own house colors and silly hats.

The Delta Gamma girls wore sailor caps, and the Alpha Epsilon Phi girls wore similar green and white ones.

Though the sisters themselves declined to comment on the excitement of the day, the bystanders were more than happy to share their sentiments.

"This is the most hot girls you're ever going to see in one place, at one time," said UF freshman Luke Epstein, who watched Tuesday's event.

In the great fervor of running, hugging, kissing, picture taking and checking of make-up via reflections in car mirrors, there was plenty to gawk at.

Jennifer Marty, a senior advertising major, turned out to observe the madness with some of her girlfriends.

"It's like running with the bulls," she said, "in sundresses."

Editor's Note: This article has been corrected. The word “hopefuls” was accidentally shortened. We apologize for the misprint.