The long list of local restaurants in Gainesville may seem daunting at first, but by the end of this brief tutorial you’ll be well on your way to finding your favorite nook in the midst of the multitude of local eateries.

Now, I’m no food critic, but after visiting a handful of restaurants in Gainesville I can recommend a few of the tastiest and most affordable joints in town.

Mexican

Boca Fiesta’s menu boasts a variety of Mexican food and the best margaritas in town. I have yet to test out the latter’s truth, but after eating my weight in their nachos, tacos and guacamole (they let you mash it yourself, so be prepared to flex those extrinsic hand muscles), I have no doubt they will deliver in that area too.

Their chow isn’t limited to what’s listed on the standard menu. Every month they feature a unique meat. This month they have “swordfishstick” tacos, with you guessed it, swordfish.

Not weird enough for you? In January they featured peppers stuffed with crispy meal worms.

As the brave soul that I am, I tried it, and not only was it palatable, but it was tasty.

For a menu and a detailed list of events, visit their website, bocafiesta.com or call 352-336-8226. If my blurb of praise has already convinced you, then head downtown to the Sun Center, 232 SE 1st St. I recommend sitting outside, they have fresh peppers and other edibles growing right on the walls.

Pizza

Step back into the ‘70s and enjoy a deep-dish pizza in the back of an aquamarine VW Bus at Satchel’s Pizza, located at 1800 NE 23rd Ave. If eating in a van isn’t your style, you can eat outside, inside or in a tree house.

No matter where you sit, the pizza is plentiful and delicious with enough toppings to satisfy all of your taste buds. They also have salads and calzones that are rumored to turn you into a fanatic after the first bite.

Once you’ve finished a quarter of that pizza pie (trust me, you won’t be able to finish it in one sitting) order a cannoli or five, they are baked fresh in house. Take a walk to Lightnin’ Salvage behind the main restaurant before you leave to splurge on that bacon wallet you have been searching for or on any of their unique trinkets.

The restaurant is cash-only, but don’t fret if you forget to bring some dough, they have an ATM in house. For more information on the menu and restaurant hours visit their website, satchelspizza.com or call 352-335-7272.

Cuban

Flaco’s Cuban Bakery is located at the corner of University Avenue and Northwest Second Street. At this corner you will find the most exquisite Cuban food in town.

They have arepas, empanadas, Cuban sandwiches and a variety of pastries. It all comes at a good price and, frankly, the taste is undeniably awesome.

I recommend the Cuban sandwich, not only for the savory taste but for the portion size as well. They have a menu available online at allmenus.com or you can call 352-371-2000 for more information.

Sushi

We may be in the center of the state, but we’re not lacking in the raw fish department.

Gainesville is home to a long list of sushi restaurants, some featuring sushi bowls while others offer a tapas-style dining experience.
Dragonfly serves tapas-style, which means you share your meal.

It’s an intriguing concept, but don’t be surprised if you find yourself dueling for that last piece of spicy tuna. 
Dragonfly is located at 201 SE 2nd Ave.

For more information on their menu items and hours visit their website, dragonflysushi.com or call 352-371-3359.

BBQ

David’s Real Pit BBQ features a breakfast, lunch and dinner menu. Whether you’re craving a slab of ribs, corn on the cob or a pulled- pork sandwich, they have it all.
Employees don People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA) shirts and serve you with the best Southern hospitality. So if you’re in the mood for some delicious BBQ slathered in your favorite house-made sauce, head down to 5121 NW 39th Ave.

For information regarding restaurant hours and menus visit their website, davidsbbq.com or call 352-373-2002.

Everything in between

At The Top, you’ll find entrees that are both vegan and meat-eater friendly.

Saying their menu is centered on variety doesn’t even cut it.
No matter what you’re in the mood for, The Top will get you the grub you need to fuel up for a night of fun.

Located at 30 N Main St., they are just a hop, skip and a jump away from many of the local music venues.
Pair one of their gigantic burgers with some sweet potato fries and you’ll be waddling full and happy out the door at the end of your meal. For more information call 352-337-1118.

Craving curry? Look no further. Tasty Buddha is located at 25 NW 16th Ave. Suite C and has some of the best curry and rice dishes in town.

You can pair their rice with meat ranging from chicken to shrimp and vegetarian-friendly options like tofu and tempeh.
They also have burgers, salads and sandwiches. For more information visit their website, tastybuddha.com or call 352-377-0287.