Freshman charged with sexual battery

An 18-year-old UF freshman was arrested Sunday evening and charged with sexually assaulting three girls after they’d fallen asleep at an off-campus party.

Robert Coburn, who lives in UF’s Beaty Towers, went to the party Saturday night and stayed after it ended, according to a Gainesville Police report.

When most guests had gone to sleep, Coburn went into the first victim’s room. The victim woke up to find Coburn kissing her neck and yelled at him to leave, so he went into the bedroom across the hall where four other girls were sleeping, according to the report.

Coburn is accused of attempting to have sex with girl without waking her. The third victim woke up to him touching her.

Her screams woke the others, who told Coburn to leave. He refused until neighbors came.

Coburn turned himself in Sunday.

After being read his rights, Coburn admitted to having consensual sex with the first victim, to having tried to have sex with the second, and said “it was possible” that he abused the third, the report stated.

Coburn is charged with three counts of sexual battery against physically helpless victims because the girls were drinking.