In a tribute to one of the world's richest religious traditions, UF Hillel hosted Rosh Hashanah celebrations Wednesday night.

The holiday, which commemorates the Jewish New Year and birthday of Adam and Eve, is celebrated by Jews all across the world. This year's observance marks the year 5771 on the Jewish calender.

According to Rabbi Daniel Wolnerman, staff worked all week to prepare for Rosh Hashanah services.

"While everyone had off on Labor Day, Hillel was working hard," he said.

The Jewish center offered three services starting at 7:30 p.m. for every sect of Judaism. The dining room was converted for Reform services to seat about 400 guests and the remaining rooms held Conservative and traditional services.

Hillel brought in new rabbis and encouraged local students to lead services for Rosh Hashanah. Rabbi Chaim Albert came from North Miami to lead the Conservative services and UF student Andrew Shaw helped lead Reform services.

Wolnerman said that Hillel created a new program for guests who don't feel comfortable sitting through traditional High Holiday services. The program, "Let's Get High," was offered in the living room and consisted of discussions, guided meditation and educational classes.

After services concluded at 9 p.m., guests met in the Hillel library to eat a family-style kosher dinner.

Apples dipped in honey were served at dinner to symbolize a sweet new year and challah, traditional Jewish bread, was made into round shapes to signify the circle of life.

Rachel Cohn, an elementary education senior, said she couldn't make it home for the holiday and decided to celebrate the new year at Hillel by attending Reform services.

The services were lovely and dinner was delicious, she said.

"It looks like it's going to be a great new year," she said.