Alachua county supervisor gives voting tips

Voting, on the surface, is easy.

You go in a booth, color some ovals and get a sticker.

There are, however, some key things voters need to know before they go and exercise that  important democratic privilege that separates us from the North Koreans.

The general electionis on Nov. 2, but the deadline for registering to vote in Alachua County is Monday.

According to Alachua County Supervisor of Elections Pam Carpenter, you must have your registration completed by 5 p.m. Monday, or it must be postmarked by Monday.

Everyone can register at the Supervisor’s office downtown or go online to www.votealachua.com and click the link on the home page.

The form needs a signature, so it would have to be printed out and then either turned in or mailed.

You can register all over town.

UF campus? Check.

Public library? Check.

Walmart? Check and mate.

The sooner you register, the better, to ensure the correct name will appear on the correct poll register.

Carpenter said get it done now so that you can do your homework and lubricate the sometimes tedious process of voting.

“If you go in cold, it could take you 20 minutes to do,” she said.

After registration, voters will receive a sample ballot in the mail, and Carpenter said it’s a good idea to take it with you to the polling place.

If you’re already registered in another county and want to vote in Alachua, you must submit a change of address on a voter registration application.

The most important thing is knowledge of one’s precinct.  Different precincts have different races on the ballot.  To vote,  you need a picture ID with a signature like a driver’s license, state-issued ID or school ID.

For any questions or concerns call the Supervisor of Elections Office at 352-374-5252.