Chas Henry's field goal lifts UF past Georgia in overtime

JACKSONVILLE — As the Florida field goal unit huddled, Chas Henry appropriately stood to the side.

In a way, Henry’s season has been a microcosm of what’s plagued Florida in 2010. He entered the season hyped as one of the best punters in the nation. An injury to starting kicker Caleb Sturgis thrust Henry into an unfamiliar, perhaps even unfair role. And after starting well, Henry had missed his last three field goal attempts coming into Saturday's game.

When his potential game-tying field goal sailed wide right Oct. 16 against Mississippi State, Henry was the lowest player on a downtrodden squad.

But, with Florida in its first overtime game since 2005, Henry was granted a chance to reverse his misfortunes during what he called “redemption week.” His 37-yard field goal split the goalposts, giving Florida a 34-31 win over Georgia in front of 84,888 split fans at EverBank Field. 

“That internal family that we have is about as strong as you can get,” Henry said. “We never break. We’re always behind each other. I let them down one time, and I was never going to let that happen again. That was the most incredible, inspiring feeling.”

The made field goal, Florida’s first walk-off since Arden Czyewski made a game winner in 1989, brought redemption not just to Henry, but to the entire team. The offense gained 450 yards, about 120 yards more than its season average. The defense set up a pair of scores with four turnovers. 

And the Gators ended a three-game losing streak, keeping their hope of an SEC Championship Game appearance alive. If Florida beats Vanderbilt on Saturday and South Carolina on Sept. 13, the team will punch its ticket to Atlanta.

“This is the biggest win I can remember, and I’ve coached here a long time,” said coach Urban Meyer, now in his sixth season with the Gators. “From demeanor, from recruiting, from just those guys in the locker room. That was an emotional locker room now. These guys have been to hell and back in the last three weeks.”

And, moments before Henry hit the defining field goal, Florida’s defense bounced back from a rough second half. Getting a chance to strike first in overtime, Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray’s 3rd-and-9 pass was intercepted by free safety Will Hill.

Hill hauled the ball in at Florida 7-yard line and bolted down the left side of the field. Hill carried the ball deep into Georgia territory and looked poised to end the game. But he was pushed out just shy of the end zone.

Hill, like most of his teammates and Florida fans, thought he scored.

“I was probably cheering more than anybody for him to get in the end zone,” Henry said. “That puts a lot of pressure off me, off of everybody. That’s game over.”

Hill’s interception was an appropriate way to set up the Florida winning score. In the first half, the Gators leaned on their defense to create scoring chances.

Free safety Ahmad Black rushed Murray untouched when he stunted with linebacker Jelani Jenkins in the second quarter. Black’s pressure forced Murray to fumble, and Jenkins recovered.

Six plays and 29 yards later, the Gators took a 14-7 lead on a Jeff Demps touchdown run.

On the Bulldogs’ next drive, Hill intercepted Murray and returned the ball to the Georgia 41-yard line. Two plays later, Florida extended its lead with a Trey Burton touchdown run. 

“In the beginning of the season, the secondary, we was doing everything,” Hill said. “Then we started slacking and we knew it was our responsibility to come out and perform.”