There was a certain air of somberness on the Gators’ side during Monday’s swim meet.

Swimming is a sport that’s both mental and physical, and the Gators had something heavy resting on their hearts.

Senior swimmer Matthew Norton was recently involved in a scooter accident.

“Although no fault of his own, it’s a really unfortunate situation that will require some surgery,” head coach Gregg Troy said in a statement. “He is doubtful to return this season.”

Though Norton is expected to be out for the rest of the season, Troy said, “Most importantly, Matt is healthy and we’re all glad he is going to be fine.”

Norton, of Port Orange, is a 2010 All-American in the 200-yard freestyle relay.

Last season, he was part of the team that swam the second-fastest time in the program's history of the event.

Currently, Norton holds the third-fastest 50-freestyle and 200-individual medley times in the Southeastern Conference for this season as well as the fifth-fastest 100- and 200-freestyle times.

Norton was also part of the 200-, 400- and 800-freestyle relay teams that recorded the quickest times in SEC this season.