Hispanic students brainstorm ways to unite as community

UF’s Hispanic students emphasized the need for organizational unity within their diverse community during an informal discussion at the Institute of Hispanic-Latino Cultures Wednesday night.

About 25 student leaders and members of cultural organizations on campus discussed problems faced by UF’s Hispanic community —  such as a lack of Hispanic student leaders and mentors — and suggested practical solutions for these issues.

The event was hosted by Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity Inc. as a part of Hispanic Heritage Month and featured a panel of student and university leaders, including current Student Body Treasurer Virlany Taboada; Jose Hernandez, the president of the Dominican Student Association; and Victor Martinez, a 2009 UF alumnus who works in the New Student and Family Programs Office.

“One of the things that the Hispanic community lacks is structure,” Martinez said.

He said if Hispanic student groups were more organized and had more members who advocate their interests, more students would join.

At the same time, participants in the discussion emphasized that the members of different Hispanic student organizations need to unite in order to better represent the Hispanic community.

Lidice Ferrera, executive director of Hispanic Heritage Month, said organizations should reach out to smaller Hispanic student groups just as they reach out to non-Hispanic organizations.

“In the end, we should still have a time to come together,” Ferrera said.

Participants in the discussion emphasized that Hispanic students can solve the problems within their community by seeking leadership positions outside of the community, not just within it.

David Rowe, a member of Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Inc., said students can recruit other students to get involved. 

After the discussion came to an end, the students planned to invite other organizational leaders to a follow-up discussion next Wednesday, while Ricardo Marenco, the president of Lambda Theta Phi, stressed that an organization is about more than meetings and events.

“It’s about preparing Hispanics for the real world,” Marenco said.